Are you pregnant? Are you stressed, cramped up or sleep-deprived? A pregnancy massage may be what you need. While almost everyone enjoys the relaxation of a good massage, during pregnancy the benefits are even greater.
Before you make your appointment, make sure you take care of safety first:
* Find a massage therapist that is specially trained and certified in pregnancy massage. They will be aware of all the following safety factors, but you should know them as well:
* If you are at risk of preterm labor, or have a blood clotting disorder, then do not attempt massage without first consulting your doctor. Some therapists may require doctor approval from all pregnant clients.
* Avoid massages during the first trimester of your pregnancy: The increased blood circulation during this time may cause to become dizzy, and may increase morning sickness.
* Make sure you are placed in a semi-reclining position, or lie on your side with lots of pillows for support.
* Do not allow excessive pressure on your ankles or the webbing between your thumb and index finger: these areas can induce early labor when sustained pressure is applied to them.
Once all the safety issues are taken care of, relax and enjoy! Most post pregnancy massage are perfectly safe and will benefit both yourself and the growing child. Most importantly, they help you relax and will lower your stress level. That alone may alleviate many other discomforts. They may also:
* increase blood circulation,
* lower your heart rate,
* relieve muscle cramps and spasms,
* reduce lower back and neck pain,
* reduce swelling in hands and ankles
* provide a less painful and easier delivery!
When you go to your appointment, consider taking your partner with you. By learning what comforts you, they can help you relax via post pregnancy massage throughout your pregnancy and during labour. Make sure the therapist highlights all safety concerns to your partner and teaches them safe massage techniques.
So contact a qualified massage therapist today, and make that appointment that will help you relax and better enjoy this wonderful time of your life.